Thursday, August 8, 2019

IL River

We have had a lot happen in the last few days...and we have learned a lot. Our mantra for this trip is “Go with the flow.” Once in awhile we say it out loud to each other. My biggest fear was being able to handle the locks and so far I have been able to handle them.  We had called ahead to Marseilles lock the night before and they instructed us to be there at 5:30am. So, our kids know this, but to Tom whenever we take a flight we are usually sitting at the gate before they have even posted our flight. With this being said we got up at 4:00am and Tom said should we call before we go.? I said no we will call on our way.... called and the person answered “what?” I could tell his day was not going well- long story short-we were asked to turn around and go back to the slip and come at 5:30pm. We were there at 5 and we waited ....and waited...9:35 pm we got through. In talking with guys they told us the first person that I talked to should not be working there. But here comes the thrilling part- we realized our next lock we would either have to get up at 4 or have the luxury of 4:45. You guessed it more sleep appealed to me! Tom quickly wired in a light for the bow of Maggie jo. And we ventured down the river. We learned that tows can be carried in the front as I thought Tom saw the big load that was about 100 yards away and he hadn’t, no worries we were safe. We admire the folks that drive those tow boats they were polite and kind as we radio back and forth. We made it to our slip at 12:15am and up and gone at 4:30am - Starved Rock And Dam got us through by 5:10am.  Shocking to all of you that know me - I had made breakfast and had coffee by then. We then started our trip down to to Ivy Club- I was thrilled to go there two reasons laundry and a swimming pool! I felt like a new women ! Toms coworkers came by on their way to a meeting in Chicago (Jeff and Ward) we had a wonderful dinner at the yacht club and they brought us snacks! Today we traveled to Havana, Illinois to Tall Timbers Marina - the river is low. We are blessed to able to experience this river journey! God is Good!


No comments:

Post a Comment